What is the MECE Framework?
MECE stands for “Mutually Exclusive – Collectively Exhaustive”
It is a structured problem-solving approach that forces you to list down all possible options without double counting.
- The Problem Statement is written down first. You must choose your words carefully while writing this down to ensure that there is no ambiguity in understanding the problem.
- The Options to solve the problem are then listed down in a tree-like fashion. The options must not overlap (Mutually exclusive) and no option must be missed out (Collectively exhaustive)
- Once the tree is built, the pros and cons of each path in the tree is discussed until the optimal solution path is decided.
MECE is popular among business consultants to solve problems and communicate their solutions.
MECE Framework Illustration 1: A business case study
Once a MECE Tree like this is built, each option can be analyzed for feasibility. The optimal solution can then be chosen.
MECE Framework Illustration 2: Situational Interview Question
MECE Framework Illustration 3: Software Project Management
Using MECE Framework in a job interview
The MECE Framework is a structured approach to problem solving that is useful in answering many types of job interview questions.
1.Before staring on the solution, focus on defining the Problem Statement using a clear, unambiguous sentence.
2.DON’T just use the MECE Framework within your mind. Use it to communicate that your thought processes are actually structured. Draw the MECE Tree on paper or on whiteboard during the interview.
3.Once you have drawn the MECE Tree, engage the interviewer on different solutions that are the leaf nodes in the MECE Tree.
- Ask questions to get more context to see if this solution is applicable.
- Discuss pros and cons of each solution with the Interviewer.
- Always think out aloud to ensure that you and the Interviewer are on the same page.
4.If the Interviewer offers any hints, always take those hints and make corrections to the MECE structure as necessary.
5.After you have arrived at the final solution, conclude with a quick summary. The summary should restate the problem statement, describe the pros and cons of various alternatives considered and finally state the solution that you would recommend.
This content was brought to you by Evalground Online Testing Platform. Evalground is an online assessment and test evaluation system focused on helping Recruiters in initial screening of potential candidates from an ocean of job seekers in an automated way.